To the Glory of God, with whom everything is possible. In honor to you, our pride Dr. Vinko Pulisic, Archbishop of lost Zadar, the metropolis of all Dalmatia. In memory to you firm unity with which united our ancestors
On the fourteenth day of May, in the year one thousand nine hundred
For us that most beautiful day redeemed Olib from the honorable man of Zadar Dunat Filippi.
We have joyfully and harmoniously raised this monument of our freedom in the holy year
one thousand nine hundred thirty-four
We humble Olibljans.
Churches of Olib
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the main church on Olib Island.
This church was built in 1899 and has been actively serving the parishioners of Olib since then.
The feast day of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is held on August 15th.
The church of St. Anastasia is located next to the sea, close to the main port.
This is the oldest church on Olib, it is documented that the church has been in use since 1585. The construction was completed in 1632, the date is etched in stone above the main entrance.
The St. Anastasia church is surrounded by the island cemetery.
The St. Rocco church is located outside of the village, en route to the port of Samotvorac.
St. Rocco is the protector against plagues and other diseases.
The feast of St Rocco is celebrated on August 16th.
The church of St. Nicholas is located on the cove of Porat.
The church was built in 1881. St. Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors and immigrants.
The mass service is held yearly on August 5th, feast of Our Lady of the Snows.
Olipski Kaštel - "Kula"
The Olib “Kula” fortress dates back to the 16th century.
The fortress was used in previous centuries to defend the island from pirates and other foreign invaders.
Today, this fortress has become a popular site for tourists and is used as a symbol representing the island of Olib.
Cross from Vrlika - Brought to Olib in 1476
This very important cross was brought to Olib in 1476 by priest Juraj Cetinjanin.
The cross was originally in the church of Sv. Spas “Holy Salvation“ near the town of Vrlika.
A number of families were forced to flee the Cetina region, village of Vrlika, escaping religious persecution from foreign invaders. They migrated to Olib, along with Juraj Cetinjanin. These settlers established a new home, where they could freely practice their faith. They are the ancestors of modern day Olibljans.
This cross is exhibited in the main church.
Early Settlement by the port of Banjve from 6th century AD - St Anthony the Abbot monastery and St. Paul Church
Located on the southwest part of Olib island, by the cove of Banjve are the ruins of the monastery of St. Anthony the Abbot, as well as the ruins of the church of St. Paul. The information on early Christian settlement chronicles, regarding this settlement was found in the Zadar church archives. This was also researched by known archeologist Frane Bulić and architect Andro Mohorovičić, who concluded that the structures date back to the 6th century AD.
Only the foundation of this early settlement still remains today.
According to the researched documentation, the monastery of St. Anthony the Abbott was inhabited from the 6th through the 12th century AD.
This information was obtained from Lovro Ivin’s book “Olib, Otok, Selo, I Ljudi”